Sunday 18 September 2011

Making a Splash

Photobucket

This picture took a few tries to get right! Fortunately my mother was very good at warning me when a big wave was coming, while I tried to hold the camera as steady as possible. The end result is surprisingly un-wonky, I feel.

You could probably guess it's another picture from my holiday in Devon. We had a couple of days of really summery weather, but I only actually made it into the sea once, and even then only for a paddle in the very late afternoon. However, I did eat copious amounts of ice cream and jam my last two-pences into a shove-penny machine, which on the scale of seaside experiences is practically equivalent to full immersion.

The thing about seaside towns is that they get eerily quiet at night. Even the funfair, which for me is a late night activity, was silent and dark by 9 o'clock, and the restaurants in the town where we stayed were... variable. On walking in to one of them we were informed that there was only one menu because all the others had been stolen (?). My dad was asked if he wanted his beer chilled or room temperature. He said room temperature. They only had chilled. When it came time to pay we waited for ages, despite being the only people in there, and the old man who ran the place kept giving my dad's credit card nervous looks as it lay on the table. He finally scuttled forwards, holding the chip & pin machine... only to scurry straight into the kitchen. His wife eventually emerged to explain that she was the only one who could work it.*

*Incidentally, the food was extremely tasty, but that's not the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment