Monday 19 March 2012

Blue Morpho Butterfly


Photobucket
Peleides Blue Morpho Butterfly
This photograph makes me highly annoyed that my hands are so wobbly. I tried so many times to get this shot and this is sadly the best one I have, I still completely failed to centre it nicely and managed to chop the tip of the butterfly's wing right off. I need a tripod or something!

Anyway, even if it's far from perfect, I just love the colours in this picture. Blue Morpho butterflies are completely stunning anyway. I hadn't realised that there are actually three species of butterfly which are commonly referred to as the "blue morpho" - morpho rhetenor, morpho menelaus, and morpho peleides. This one is a peleides blue morpho, also known as the Common Morpho, also known as The Emperor. Of course, controversy is rife in lepidopteric circles and some believe that morpho peleides is merely a subspecies of morpho helenor.

The Common Morpho is found in Central and South America, and the amazing blue colour in its wings is created by the diffraction of light from tiny scales which cover its wings. The underside of the wings is brown and much less exciting, so when it folds up and settles on a tree trunk, it's highly camouflaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment