Thursday 20 October 2011

Cairn

Photobucket

Another photograph of my summer holiay in Cornwall; there was a whole herd of cairns scattered across this beach. I don't know who built them or why, but it looked very picturesque.

In a not-unrelated note, my word of the day is tumulus, a "mound of earth and stones raised over a grave or graves". Purely because it sounds good. Also known as a barrow, a less awesome word which greatly confused me as a ten-year-old reading Lord of the Rings for the first time. Near the beginning of the book there's a bit which involves much unexciting messing around in/near barrows, and as I had only come across the word in the context of a wheelbarrow (and was too lazy to go get a dictionary), it caused me a great deal of confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment